Process Overview

When to Refer a Dispute to IAC 

Unionised Firms/Companies

A dispute between an employer and a union with regard to employment, non-employment or terms and conditions of employment should only be referred to IAC when the following steps have not been successful:

  1. Both parties should try to resolve the dispute through discussion and negotiation between themselves.
  2. If negotiation fails, they should seek the assistance of the Ministry of Manpower to conciliate between the parties. 

A unionised dispute may also be referred to IAC for arbitration by:

  • Minister for Manpower by notification in the Government Gazette;
  • President of Singapore by proclamation where referral of disputes is deemed to be in the public interest.

Non-unionised Firms/Companies

Employees of non-unionised firms/companies can approach the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management (TADM) for assistance to resolve employment disputes. 

Arbitration process


Applying for Arbitration

Last updated: 29 March 2018